At Dog Tag Brewing Foundation, we help build legacies of our nation’s Fallen Warriors by partnering with Gold Star Families who contact us on new or existing Legacy Building Initiatives in their community that are designed to carry on the memory of their loved one.
We do this in 3 ways:
1 - Legacy Grants
We provide financial grants to fund Legacy Building Initiatives. Legacy Grants are awarded through a competitive application process to 501(c)(3) nonprofits that carry out the legacy project. Grants are never made to individuals or non-charitable organizations.
2 - FREE SERVICES & NON-PROFIT CONSULTING
We offer a wide-array of no-cost consulting and services to new or existing nonprofits started by Gold Star Families and that are responsible for carrying out a legacy project. Free services include:
- 501(c)(3) startup
- board training and development
- governance and compliance
- strategic planning
- website and logo development
- communications, events, and fundraising strategies
3 - inspiring americaNS
We share the stories of Fallen Warriors whose legacies are supported through a Legacy Grant, inspiring Americans to actively honor our nation’s Fallen Warriors by supporting and getting involved in legacy projects in their own community. We do this through social media and Dedication Cans.
We believe that never forgetting means more than just remembering.
How it works:
+ OUR PROCESS: LEGACY BUILDING INITIATIVES & GRANTS
The best way to build a legacy is to understand the life and service behind it. Because of this, we provide highly collaborative, personalized service to Gold Star Families with Legacy Building Initiatives that we support. Our process brings together families, nonprofits, the public and our team to ensure projects succeed over the long term.
Our process is as follows:
- A Gold Star Family selects a Legacy Building Initiative and submits an application for a Legacy Grant.
- Our Grants Committee reviews applications and makes awards on a bi-annual basis.
- Legacy Grant recipients and our team collaborate to track the success and impact of the grants.
+ DEDICATION CANS
Dedication cans are produced periodically. There is no application process for Dedication Cans and cans are not produced upon request. To avoid bias and keep the process as fair as possible, grant recipients in good standing will be eligible when there are openings for Dedication Cans.
+ WHAT WE SUPPORT
We only support Legacy Building Initiatives that are initiated by Gold Star Families and will be carried out by a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Legacy Building Initiatives fall into two categories:
Legacy Building Organizations – new or existing 501(c)(3) nonprofits established by the Gold Star Family to honor their Fallen Warrior
Legacy Building Projects – specific projects that carry on the name of the Fallen Warrior and are carried out by another 501(c)(3) nonprofit. This includes scholarships, community improvement projects, youth empowerment programs, sports programs, or any other project that is meaningful to the family and carries on the legacy of their Fallen Warrior.
We are particularly interested in supporting Legacy Building Initiatives that:
- Generate awareness of the life and legacy of the Fallen Warrior
- Demonstrate a commitment to “pay it forward” and encourage citizenship, service, and community involvement
- Reflect our commitment to inspire Americans by providing an opportunity for many to get involved
- Generate measurable impact, whether locally or on a broad level
- Include the Gold Star Family in a meaningful way
- Utilize grant support to grow capacity, generate additional financial support, and increase overall success
+ WHAT WE DO NOT FUND
- Projects, initiatives, or organizations that are not selected by Gold Star Families who contact us
- Projects or initiatives that are not tied to the legacy of a Fallen Warrior
- Direct grants to individuals or non-501(c)(3) organizations
- International organization or projects that require distributing funds to an international organization
- Endowments, capital campaigns, or major infrastructure projects
- Political or lobbying activities or organizations
- Debt service, collateral, or commercial ventures
- Organizations that discriminate based upon federally protected statuses
+ WHO CAN APPLY
We work solely with Gold Star Families, represented by the authorized next of kin – the legal representative of the Fallen Warrior. Grant applications must be made by the authorized next of kin and must identify a qualified 501(c)(3) nonprofit that will carry out the project.
To be considered a qualified 501(c)(3) nonprofit, an organization must meet the following criteria:
- selected by a Gold Star Family, or by Dog Tag Brewing Foundation
- a 501(c)(3) organization in good standing with federal and state regulatory agencies
- small/medium size with small/mid-level annual revenue, where grant resources have the potential for significant impact
- demonstrate financial responsibility, strong organizational leadership and governance, and diverse sources of revenue
- demonstrate a commitment to utilizing organizational resources for programmatic purposes
- capable of and willing to carry out the Legacy Building Initiative according to its terms and any reasonable grant restrictions
+ READY TO APPLY
The 2017 grant season is currently open. Please click on the following link to get started.
+ QUESTIONS & RESOURCES
For additional information or guidance relating to Dog Tag Brewing Foundation, our services, or the Legacy Grant application process, please contact us.
Dog Tag Brewing Foundation 2042 Stadium Drive, Suite #2 Bozeman, MT 59715 (406) 577-2261 email@example.com